Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

A place for talking about IMVU
Post Reply
User avatar
ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:25 am
Location: Estonia

Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by ChocolateCookie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:07 pm

This is something I've been wondering for awhile, but I was just reminded by this again when looking through groups. How come there is pretty much no real life discussion happening on IMVU, especially in the groups? The forums are the only place I've seen a little of it, but not even that much.

For example, I am a pretty big fitness fan in real life, which is why I got curious and looked through some IMVU groups to see if there were any groups related to fitness. Could not find a single one. Every health or other community on here is about IMVU, basically just IMVU maternity hospitals. Given how big IMVU is, I'd expect to have more social groups that are more about real life, like real life pregnancies and real life fashion and so on, but there is nothing, except for maybe gaming and anime, neither of which interest me. Which honestly makes me feel isolated in the community since I am not big into anything IMVU related but would love to discuss real life fashion and health and fitness.

I really don't get it, any ideas?
Image

User avatar
Extinction
Prolific Pixel
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:55 pm
Location: United States
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Extinction

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Extinction » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:26 pm

I think they might of existed at one point, but might be long gone, unfortunately.

I know way back when groups first came in I was apart of alot of different groups, both cirulating around real life and IMVU.
EXTINCTION @ IMVU
~ Making Anthro Designs & Creations since 2007 ~

Product Requests: OPEN
I have difficulties with communicating my ideas and thoughts properly.
Please be patient with me.

User avatar
GuySBot
Prolific Pixel
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:00 am
Location: Botswanna
Contact:

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by GuySBot » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 am

Guessing here that IMVU is an escape from reality so . . . While the majority may want an escape from real life activities IMVU certainly
reflects real life and the actions therein .

All though you maybe on to something , these zumba or whatever it's called being popular and IMVU sure could incorporate those dance
and exercise moves . So in essence to have your IMVU avi be doing your routine isn't out of the question as a possibility . To add there where
you would be doing the dances and exercises along with your avi . Anyways if there is something you want on here like that idea or a group
you'd have to put in the time to develop it , promote it by advertising and searching out like users who'd be interested . I know a few people
who maybe interested and will keep it on the back burner .
Muah X Meow ^,.^~! TTFN

User avatar
Elaini
Prolific Pixel
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:05 pm
Location: Finland
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini
Contact:

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Elaini » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:07 am

ChocolateCookie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:07 pm
This is something I've been wondering for awhile, but I was just reminded by this again when looking through groups. How come there is pretty much no real life discussion happening on IMVU, especially in the groups? The forums are the only place I've seen a little of it, but not even that much.
I'm just guessing that it isn't easy to really open up in IMVU with the attitude you come across there every so often. The somewhat toxic atmosphere with jealousy, drama, trolling, "never mind the ToS" and so on. There are videos in YouTube preserving that reputation even further, so it might take a long time to shake it off. I wish I knew how, but I have no idea.

But with the right people around to open up to - which does happen in IMVU too in certain circles with smart people - I might go for it. I do feel comfortable enough to do it in these boards to be honest.
Image

User avatar
Seige
Dark Pixel
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3019684

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Seige » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:57 pm

To Be honest I feel IMVU groups will be the next thing to go...They are used less and less and some have been abandoned due to the owner of the group being disabled. Either IMVU will move all the active (recent activity groups) to Next or they will just simply delete all groups because I am thinking the less they have to move over to Next the better for their servers... I do know a lot of users have actually branched out and made their own dedicated websites for group discussions... Like this Community :)
Image

User avatar
Zara
Sage Pixel
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:24 am
Location: Baix Empordà, Catalunya.
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Keodi
Contact:

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Zara » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:26 am

I'd take a guess at somewhere between 90 - 95% of IMVU users aren't remotely interested in anything "real". All most of them are interested in is virtual dating while hiding behind an avatar and the rest are sociopaths.

That's why I don't use IMVU 3D any more. I have zero interest in dating, small talk, jerking about on a dance spot or mind games.

I have tried to engage people in conversation about real life interests via chats, groups etc but it always ends up going nowhere in a very short time.

The 5 - 10% that are genuinely interested don't seem to stick around long, they usually find a more suitable locale.

My interests seem to be completely boring to the average IMVU user, however I have no problem using a medium such as Facebook to discuss them. That is what leads me to my conclusion about "IMVU'ers". :mrgreen:
Image

User avatar
Elaini
Prolific Pixel
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:05 pm
Location: Finland
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini
Contact:

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Elaini » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:28 am

Zara wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:26 am
I'd take a guess at somewhere between 90 - 95% of IMVU users aren't remotely interested in anything "real". All most of them are interested in is virtual dating while hiding behind an avatar and the rest are sociopaths.

That's why I don't use IMVU 3D any more. I have zero interest in dating, small talk, jerking about on a dance spot or mind games.
And that's why I at times feel like "I'm getting too old for this". It's the creativity and income that keeps me here for now, most of all. Along with the people who actually are decent. I have actually seen a lot of dating where they just jump into it - they know nothing about each other.

I'm not so much into city life club rooms anymore either with nonstop billboard dance hits, which IMVU has a plenty of. I'm more of a nature girl who needs space, green smells in a sunshine heated wind. I also love the light on the sea, no cut diamond can compete with the glittering and brightness... or any water we can create for IMVU.
Image

User avatar
Notorious Chicka
Notorious Pixel
Posts: 263
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 am
Location: Arizona
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Notorious

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Notorious Chicka » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Elaini wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:28 am
Zara wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:26 am
I'd take a guess at somewhere between 90 - 95% of IMVU users aren't remotely interested in anything "real". All most of them are interested in is virtual dating while hiding behind an avatar and the rest are sociopaths.

That's why I don't use IMVU 3D any more. I have zero interest in dating, small talk, jerking about on a dance spot or mind games.
And that's why I at times feel like "I'm getting too old for this". It's the creativity and income that keeps me here for now, most of all. Along with the people who actually are decent. I have actually seen a lot of dating where they just jump into it - they know nothing about each other.

I'm not so much into city life club rooms anymore either with nonstop billboard dance hits, which IMVU has a plenty of. I'm more of a nature girl who needs space, green smells in a sunshine heated wind. I also love the light on the sea, no cut diamond can compete with the glittering and brightness... or any water we can create for IMVU.
I purposely TRY to keep my personal life out of IMVU. It is my escape.
BUT I don't buy into the roleplay or family stuff that happens there as I think those users are living a dangerous life - separating themselves from reality a little too much.

I dress weird and take pictures.

I play music.

I talk to my "real" friends.

I make crap.

Do I think it would be nice if we could have some "real" within the confines of IMVU? Absolutely - but I don't have the trust level on the other people on the internet to know it would be in fact truth.

One of my long time friends on IMVU broke the news to me that they are not a lesbian - but in fact a man - hiding from his reality. I don't judge...but it makes it hard to even feel compelled to chat with them. They have fallen off the map anyways...guilt I suppose.
Image

User avatar
Elaini
Prolific Pixel
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:05 pm
Location: Finland
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/Elaini
Contact:

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Elaini » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm
BUT I don't buy into the roleplay or family stuff that happens there as I think those users are living a dangerous life - separating themselves from reality a little too much.
Depends what sort of roleplay that is. The proper heavy roleplay has been a huge source of inspiration for me in all counts (I have done visual art and music based on it), and I'm not the only one like that in such a team. It's beautiful to see everyone's creativity to blossom based on what we do together. But even there the strong emotional reaction can happen OOC - can't avoid that happening either. One just needs to stick to logical thinking to cool down then.

I do keep my own identity and character identity separate as much as I can, though.
Image

User avatar
ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:25 am
Location: Estonia

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by ChocolateCookie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:33 pm

Notorious Chicka wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:27 pm
Do I think it would be nice if we could have some "real" within the confines of IMVU? Absolutely - but I don't have the trust level on the other people on the internet to know it would be in fact truth.
This isn't really what I meant though. Yes, you should definitely be careful about posting personal information online, but what I meant was just discussing real life things without it having to be personal. For example, having a group dedicated to fitness and diet where people can discuss and share real life fitness, share their progress (like that they finished a 10k for the first time of their life or that they are down 10 pounds), healthy recipes and rant about that jerk at the gym who doesn't put the weights back where he got them from. None of this requires sharing identifying personal information, there are many communities like this, but not on IMVU.

Similarly, there could be groups dedicated to science, various real life hobbies, personal discussion for those who seek it and so on, but there just isn't.
Image

User avatar
Seige
Dark Pixel
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3019684

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Seige » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:45 pm

I have noticed as of late that a lot of old timers are leaving or simply not logging in to IMVU because they found something in Real to do and doing it with people they can actually see and touch. It's not that real content isn't available on IMVU it's that People are starting to do the Real things in reality. IMVU doesn't have that sense of satisfaction that it once had so people are just not bothering to do much on IMVU these days. I wish groups were the stomping grounds for excitement when it comes to Real subjects or even role play for that matter but it's just come down to IMVU not giving much of what people were once getting or wanted to begin with. :( I think it would be awesome to have groups dedicated to Arts and crafts, Fitness, cooking, fashion and so on... well Fashion is in the groups for Modeling avatars but I am guessing people would rather just meet up in a cafe and talk about that stuff in real.
Image

User avatar
ChocolateCookie
Pixel Mod
Posts: 116
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:25 am
Location: Estonia

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by ChocolateCookie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Seige wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:45 pm
I am guessing people would rather just meet up in a cafe and talk about that stuff in real.
However, there are online communities dedicated to real life hobbies and they tend to be rather popular. And there are two huge advantages that these communities have to real life discussion: anonymity and a large audience. Sitting down at the cafe with my best friend is definitely fun, but I can only talk to them about certain topics only so much without getting boring or annoying. And when it comes to many topics, we just don't have input to give each other. But online, you get to see many different viewpoints and get a lot of input. There will always be people there that know something about a certain topic. And the anonymity of it helps to avoid potential drama or being afraid to look stupid. You also do not need to plan online discussion the way I need to plan meeting up with a friend.
Image

User avatar
Seige
Dark Pixel
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3019684

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Seige » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm

True, I agree with that just saying that could be part of the reason. I know groups that have actually set up meetings at cafes all though it does take away the anonymous part of it but they are doing it. :)
Image

User avatar
BraydenFinn
Posting Pixel
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:06 am

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by BraydenFinn » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:28 pm

Seige wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:45 pm
I have noticed as of late that a lot of old timers are leaving or simply not logging in to IMVU because they found something in Real to do and doing it with people they can actually see and touch. It's not that real content isn't available on IMVU it's that People are starting to do the Real things in reality. IMVU doesn't have that sense of satisfaction that it once had so people are just not bothering to do much on IMVU these days. I wish groups were the stomping grounds for excitement when it comes to Real subjects or even role play for that matter but it's just come down to IMVU not giving much of what people were once getting or wanted to begin with. :( I think it would be awesome to have groups dedicated to Arts and crafts, Fitness, cooking, fashion and so on... well Fashion is in the groups for Modeling avatars but I am guessing people would rather just meet up in a cafe and talk about that stuff in real.
Well said.

User avatar
SqkyC
Prolific Pixel
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:19 pm
IMVU Homepage: http://avatars.imvu.com/SqkyC

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by SqkyC » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 am

It could be the user base is changing. More quick try avatars, not as many wanting to hang around imvu longer. Not so much curiosity about others trying out this 'new thing' with avatars? (as it is no longer a new thing) It also could be the internet is no longer the anonymous question board it started out as and everything seems to be based around real identities now. Perhaps as the demographic changes the newer folks just aren't as interested in getting to know others. I dunno.

Everything changes, once upon a time I'd go to the post office or to get groceries (anywhere you stand in line really) and there would be conversations and snippets of conversation heard all over the place. Now everyone seems to not even look at each other let alone talk. They stare at the phone in their palm instead. Perhaps people are just less social overall now?

User avatar
Seige
Dark Pixel
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm
IMVU Homepage: http://www.imvu.com/catalog/web_mypage.php?user=3019684

Re: Why is IMVU so cut off from real life?

Post by Seige » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Everything changes, once upon a time I'd go to the post office or to get groceries (anywhere you stand in line really) and there would be conversations and snippets of conversation heard all over the place. Now everyone seems to not even look at each other let alone talk. They stare at the phone in their palm instead. Perhaps people are just less social overall now?
It's a sad thought but you seem to be right about people becoming less social in the real world so I wouldn't doubt that the new people come on to imvu are those staring at their phones. LMAO
Image

Post Reply